A lesson Dutch!

The Forum for discussions in English

Moderatorzy: kuba11100, The Viking, Moderatorzy

Awatar użytkownika
The Dark Lord
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: The Dark Lord »

Ja das ist super! Aber... Verstehst du mi(r/ch?) nicht wenn ich Angielski spreche? :wink:

This is strange... I forgot what ''English'' is in German... And then I wrote it in Polish (however it will be the wrong form... :smiesne: )!
Awatar użytkownika
Alanbach
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: Alanbach »

"English" auf Deutsch ist Englisch auch, aber mit "CH" und unterschiedlichem Bann (I mean different spell). :smiesne:
Obrazek
Awatar użytkownika
The Dark Lord
Użytkownik Forum

Oh, my German is horrible.

Je parle aussi un peu Francais, et toi? (Non que mon Francais est tr?s bon...)
Awatar użytkownika
Cav
Użytkownik Forum
Kontakt:

Post autor: Cav »

Gavarit ruskji? :P
Trejdmark i Kopirajt dla Cava!
Awatar użytkownika
The Dark Lord
Użytkownik Forum

Haha, I'll ask Krom. :P
Awatar użytkownika
Alanbach
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: Alanbach »

Oui, je parle la Francais ?galement, mais pas la même chose comme l'Allemand :coongada::
Obrazek
Awatar użytkownika
BananowyJasio
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: BananowyJasio »

I can english and german, but dutch and french are stranger for me :D. I don't know how some of us manage to read and understand what was written.
Maybe we should move back to Dutch. In some cases it looks similar to german, so I can understand a little. And sometimes you can enjoy similar languages. For example czech and polish are similar, and when you say "i hava an idea": in polish you have to say "mam pomysł" and in czech - "mam napad". But for all polish people "mam napad" means "I have attack of illness" or "I have a robbery".
Sometimes in Poland you must be carrefoul, for example when you are going to the shop (especially poor shop, or shop in miserable district) and saying "I would like to buy the wine" you can get good wine, but sometimes salesman will give you a disgusting, stinking drink like wine made of fruits spoiled with sulphur (adding sulphur makes it cheaper to produce).
So say something about Dutch :szczerzy:
Awatar użytkownika
The Dark Lord
Użytkownik Forum

As you said already, Dutch is a bit similar to German. Many words look like each other and are only slightly different. In Dutch, we have (like in French) masculine, feminine and neutral words (I hope I translated this correctly). You can't understand it, you just have to know it.
However, if you would ask me ''Is ''tafel'' (table) masculine or feminine or neutral?'', I would have no idea. I only know that the correct article is ''de''. There are three articles (''de'', ''het'', ''een''). I do not know which of them is masculine or feminine (''het'' is neutral).

Dutch is a very difficult language, for different reasons:
- The Dutch vocabulary is one of the richest in the world and comprises at least 186,000 headwords (Wikipedia).
- The pronunciation of some words is difficult.
- The spelling. Many words are written differently as they are spoken, sometimes words which are spelled the same mean different things, sometimes words shich are spelled different mean the same things, and sometimes words which are spelled slightly different have the same pronunciation, but mean different things. Example: ''leider'' and ''lijder''. The pronunciation is the same, but it has very different meanings. ''leider'' means ''leader'', while a ''lijder'' is someone who suffers!
- The verbs, of course... Yuck. :P
- more things.
Awatar użytkownika
BananowyJasio
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: BananowyJasio »

I tried to learn French, but I think there is more exeptions than regular rules of conjugation, declination, spelling etc., so I resigned. For me English and German are less strange. :P
I know, I can be nonsensical, because since I was born and brought up with Polish I should be used to complicated and irregular languages.
Do you think Dutch complicated too? I mean many exeptions, and rules that people don't care about when they talk personally because of unnatural form.

(For simple example: in Polish when you ask a question to somebody (like "Do you earn big money?") you should place "Czy" in front of the sentence (like "Czy ty zarabiasz dużo pieniędzy?") so the interlocutor will know, that you ask him. But people don't care about this, they omit "Czy" and you usually must know from the context and accent, or the "?" sign at the end if it was written.)

Sorry for my insistence :twisted: but I am very curious :wink:
Awatar użytkownika
The Dark Lord
Użytkownik Forum

Yes, I think that Dutch is also complicated. Many people say in a comparison like ''He is worse than me'' --> ''Hij is slechter als mij''. This is totally incorrect. It is supposed to be ''Hij is slechter dan ik''.
''He is worse'' = ''Hij is slechter''
''als mij/dan ik'' both means ''than me'', but ''als mij'' is wrong.
''als mij'' can only be used in a sentence like ''als mij iets overkomt, dan ...'' (if something happens to me, than...). So in that case, ''als'' means ''if''.
''als ik'' is a bit more correct. This can be used in a comparison, but only if something is equal. ''mijn vader is even lang als ik'' (my father is equal tall as me)
When something is different (he is more stupid than me, she is older than me, my mother is smarter than me), ''dan mij'' should be used.
''Hij is slechter als mij'' and the like, you hear fairly often, but it is terribly wrong!

Sorry, I can't think of a example of something complicated right now. :P
ODPOWIEDZ