The Forum for discussions in English

Moderatorzy: kuba11100, The Viking, Moderatorzy

ODPOWIEDZ
Awatar użytkownika
Sir Feliks
Kontakt:

Post autor: Sir Feliks »

Okay.

I know, creating a Remake is a very hard work.
I only report bugs :)

Scout - for bugs reporting, it's good idea :)

I know KaM Remaka is unplayable, I play Remake for bug's reporting too.

In what editor you write a code of the game?
I think about creat a dedicated server for Orginal KaM, but I dont know how do it, can any help me? :)
http://senrix.pl/ - wkrótce się odrodzi
Biorę się za pisanie książki. Pytajcie, a dam poczytać.
Kampanię "Bitwa o Afirnatil" >kiedyś< zrobię.
http://www.knights.andmerchnats.cba.pl/ ... php?t=2067
Awatar użytkownika
Lewin
Użytkownik Forum
Kontakt:

Post autor: Lewin »

We use Delphi to write the code. I use Delphi 6 but it is compatible with newer versions too. Lazarus is an open source (and free) IDE very similar to Delphi that uses the same language. (Pascal)

I don't think it is possible to create a dedicated server for original KaM. We do not understand their network protocol.
Awatar użytkownika
Sir Feliks
Kontakt:

Post autor: Sir Feliks »

Maybe after instaling special patch its possible?
http://senrix.pl/ - wkrótce się odrodzi
Biorę się za pisanie książki. Pytajcie, a dam poczytać.
Kampanię "Bitwa o Afirnatil" >kiedyś< zrobię.
http://www.knights.andmerchnats.cba.pl/ ... php?t=2067
Krom
Użytkownik Forum
Kontakt:

Post autor: Krom »

Good answer Lewin :)

@Feliks: I don't think there are going to be any special patches for original KaM. It's a closed game. It was written 10+ years ago and since then there were no major patches from developers. Community (TheKnight, Litude, others) has created ServiceRelease patches with updated mission scripts, improved translations, rearranged statistics icons.. but thats the most that can be done without source codes of the game. Reverse engineering KaM network code is doable, you could use some traffic sniffers and etc.. but you would not have control over game logic. I don't recall if KaM had a dedicated server setup screen of some kind you could attach to? We don't know about protocol either, was it p2p or through a local server? What did clients knew about topology and flow control? We don't know it and it's been a mystery for a long while..

That said only about Net code. There are many other imperfections in KaM, to name a few:
- common bugs (building, army control) and those happening rarely
- screen resolutions limitations
- no single player menu (where there are hundreds fan-made maps)
- etc..
Really we don't have to count everything, you have a "KaM bugs and limitations" topic in every forum and it's pages long. And each of the bugs has a similar story - the game was made 10+ years ago and is not supported. Now add half of messages from another topic named "What would you like to add to KaM to make it better". Thats part of the reason for making a new KaM.

That said and added to Lewins answer 2 posts back - we are attempting to remake the KaM from nothing. Thats our hobby and there are no promises it's going to be finished or better than KaM itself. But you might have some respect for our efforts and give us a hand, instead of pointing a finger.

We need bugreports and we need community support to keep us going and making a better KaM. Somehow Polish KaM community is one of the largest, but humble at the same time. We would appreciate if thats changed for better, we need your help.[/quote]
Creator of Knights Province: http://knightsprovince.com
Creator of KaM Remake: http://kamremake.com
Creator of World Racing modding tools: http://krom.reveur.de
Awatar użytkownika
Lewin
Użytkownik Forum
Kontakt:

Hi guys,
Update 3 to the multiplayer demo has been released :) Download it from here:
http://code.google.com/p/castlesand/downloads/list

You must install it over the first multiplayer demo r1793 which can be downloaded from Krom's site.

The complete changelog is huge, and can be found in the download. The main new features are:

Kod: Zaznacz cały

- A massive number of bugs and crashes fixed.
 - Multiplayer now stays in sync and can be played for hours with no problems!
 - Linux versions of the dedicated server are included
 - You can select your team in the multiplayer lobby
 - You can load/save multiplayer games &#40;meaning if you have an error, you can load one of the autosaves save10-13&#41;
 - AI players can be added to multiplayer games &#40;they are not intelligent at all, so they don't make for challenging enemies&#41;
 - In-game chat for multiplayer
 - The dedicated server can be left running for days and will self manage everything &#40;assigning hosting rights, etc.&#41;
 - Archers have friendly fire, they will hit your own units/buildings
 - Special characters in the German translation now display correctly &#40;should not have been using Unicode&#41;
 - More strings added to the translations, thanks to Jecy
I am very excited about the dedicated server now that it runs on Linux and can be left running unattended, I am hoping that some of you will be able to host it on a fixed IP address or hostname, then post that address here so anyone can join the server. If you can provide this service we would greatly appreciate it. See the Dedicated Server section of Readme file in the download for more information.

My plans for the future are as follows: We need a master server to maintain a list of all the running servers around the world, then show them in the game. I am planning to write this in PHP and MySQL as I have some experience with that. Once that is done it will not be necessary to post your IP address on the forum, it will show up on everyone's server listing.
My other grand plan is to allow dedicated servers to host multiple games. Right now if the game running on the server is in progress, no one is allowed to join. I plan for servers to have "rooms" in which games can be played, meaning that if one game is in progress on a server you can create a new game in a new room. The server would just send packets to the clients inside your room. As the load on the server is very small (~2 kb/s upload and download per player) this means one server could host maybe 10 games simultaneously no problem.

Unfortunately my uni holidays are over. The main reason why so much progress was made in this patch is because I spent a lot of time working on the Remake during my holidays. (many late nights went into this update :P) I am going to have to put it aside and focus on uni for a while, but I'll try to do some work each week and of course Krom will still be working on the project too.

As always please send crash reports to us (contact details in the Readme) and give us feedback/suggestions. Also if you would like to help out with translations please contact me.
I look forward to seeing some dedicated servers running 24/7 :D
Cheers,
Lewin.
Lasf
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: Lasf »

Thank you for fixing bugs. At first sight this version seems to be stable. Keep up the good work!
Awatar użytkownika
Lewin
Użytkownik Forum
Kontakt:

Hello everyone,
Due to the server issues in r2039 we have released a new demo to fix them, r2087:
http://code.google.com/p/castlesand/downloads/list
Hopefully multiplayer will work well in this release. Once again it should be installed over r1793:
http://krom.reveur.de/KAM_Remake/KaM_Re ... 110613.rar

Here's the change log:

Kod: Zaznacz cały

+	Server data corruption errors
 +	The dedicated server can now host multiple games at once. &#40;capped at 32&#41; If a game is in progress you are placed in a new game
 +	In multiplayer you should be able to see the same as your allies &#40;sync fog of war for teams&#41;
 +	Server can crash if a non-KaM Remake client connects and sends data &#91;Lewin&#93;
 +	When building Wine field, tile dug by Worker, if worker dies before recieving wood, becomes unusable
 +	Woodcutter can plant trees along map edges, but can't chop them there
 +	Build wine field, road on top, house on top, demolish house, you can't build winefield again

Being able to run multiple games on the same server should be very useful, I'm quite pleased with that.
Please report issues and give feedback. Hopefully xzaz can update his server and we can all play online in that :)
Lasf pisze:Thank you for fixing bugs. At first sight this version seems to be stable. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, I am very glad to hear that :D

Thanks for your help and support everyone.
Lewin.
Awatar użytkownika
janosiczek
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: janosiczek »

Hi Lewin, Krom,
You are doing a good job, you must appreciate such things. I would like to ask you whether you are planning a new building, possibly implement units to the game, I would somehow help. Or come up with something new which can be checked in the game. (Also, I sent you an email to (contact@kamremake.com) of my reflections and crash reports
As for the errors found may be mentioned that even such a thing as the recruitment of another branch of the fortress immediately makes every warrior is alone rather than in the group.

PS sorry for my english, try as I can.
Ostatnio zmieniony 20 paź 2011, 23:57 przez janosiczek, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.
Awatar użytkownika
Joker
Użytkownik Forum
Kontakt:

Post autor: Joker »

Good job!
This is the final version?
Awatar użytkownika
ZoZoN
Użytkownik Forum

Post autor: ZoZoN »

I think it's not. This is only 1st Merchants Demo and Lewin and Krom still have a lot of work to do.
ODPOWIEDZ